Pierce W. Hamblin
Pierce W. Hamblin is a partner in the law firm of Landrum & Shouse, LLP in Lexington and Louisville, Kentucky. Mr. Hamblin has also been, and continues to be, an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University Kentucky College of Law. For the past 34 years, he has taught a course in trial work and trial tactics known as LITIGATION SKILLS to Senior Law Students at the College of Law. He also teaches another course to Senior Law Students at the Law School known as NEGOTIATIONS. He is an “AV” rated trial lawyer in Martidale-Hubbell, and has been so for 15 years.
In 2006, Mr. Hamblin was inducted into the University of Kentucky College of Law Hall of Fame. In 2000, Mr. Hamblin was appointed by the Johnson Circuit Court as a Trial Commissioner or Special Master to handle mass tort litigation in this Eastern Kentucky jurisdiction. He served in that position for several years.
Most recently, he was appointed by order of multiple Courts to serve as a Special Master Commissioner in a multiple claim litigation throughout eastern Kentucky.
He is a past member of the Board of Directors for the Kentucky Bar Foundation of the Kentucky Bar Association. Mr. Hamblin is the Chairman for the Fayette County Bar Association Civil Litigation Section. In this capacity, he is responsible for arranging continuing legal education training programs for civil trial attorneys in Lexington, Kentucky. he is President-Elect of the Fayette County Bar Association and will serve as President in 2014.
He is a recipient of the American Juris Prudence Award for both Property and Corporate Finance Law. He has been selected as a Best Lawyer for the past 10 years (2004-2014). He was recently named the 2014 Best Lawyer for Mediation in Lexington by Best Lawyers of America.
Mr. Hamblin has spent the past 36 years litigating cases. He has tried cases throughout Central and Eastern Kentucky ranging from personal injury, wrongful death and product liability to medical/legal malpractice and municipal civil rights cases and police pursuit cases. He has defended multiple insurance companies in Bad Faith litigation throughout the Commonwealth of Kentucky. He has been lead trial counsel for many insurance companies in this area of Kentucky, having been so for a number of years. He has spoken on numerous occasions to the Kentucky State Claims Association and many local Kentucky Bar Associations on the Law of Bad Faith, Trial Tactics, Opening Statements, Closing Arguments and Insurance Defense/Coverage Litigation. He has addressed the Defense Research Institute Annual Products Liability Conference on evaluation of Injury and Death Claims at multiple conventions.
Mr. Hamblin is a trained and certified mediator through the Mediation Center of Central Kentucky. He has mediated over 6,000 large civil and medical malpractice cases involving multiple litigants in the past twelve years. Mr. Hamblin was nominated and selected for the Best Lawyers in America, after an exhaustive peer-review study by lawyers in his specialties of mediation and arbitration.
Mr. Hamblin served as a Captain in the United States Army and Army Reserves with intensive training in the specialty of Military Intelligence. He was The Distinguished Graduate of the Military Intelligence Officer Basic Course provided by the Army for 1977 and he is certified both as a Tactical Intelligence Officer and a Counter-Intelligence Officer. He also received a degree in Military Law from the University of Virginia College of Law. Thereafter, he served as the Judge Advocate for an Army Training Brigade.
Mr. Hamblin has been a mentor for every law school in the Commonwealth for students participating in the Kentucky Legal Education Opportunities (KLEO) Programs. He has served in this program since its inception. This program provides guidance for entering law students from underrepresented and diverse areas of the state.
He is the 2013 recipient of the Kentucky Service to Young Lawyers Award, presented by the Young Lawyers Division of the Kentucky Bar Association at the KBA Annual Convention.
He is married and has the three best looking children in the world.
- Captain, U.S. Army Military Intelligence, 1973-1978 (Certified Tactical Intelligence and Counter-Intelligence)
- Judge Advocate General, 1979-Present
- The Distinguished Graduate, Military Intelligence Officers Basic Course, 1977-1978
Areas of Practice
- 50% Mediation and Arbitration
- 50% Civil Litigation
- International Dispute Resolution
- Private Judging
- Commercial Insurance
- Directors' & Officers' Liability Insurance
- Errors & Omissions Insurance
- Insurance Malpractice
- Insurance Subrogation
- Life & Health
- Motor Vehicle
- Federal Trial Practice
- State Trial Practice
- Animal Bites -- Defense
- Assault & Battery -- Defense
- Aviation Accidents -- Defense
- Defamation & Privacy -- Defense
- Premises Liability -- Defense
- Property Damage -- Defense
- Railroad Accidents -- Defense
- Slip and Fall -- Defense
- Wrongful Death -- Defense
- Machinery & Tools
- Medical Products & Devices
- 50% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Mediation and Arbitration, Kentucky, 1977
- Kentucky, 1977
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 1977
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1978
- University of Kentucky College of Law, Lexington, Kentucky
- J.D. - 1977
- University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia - 1986
- Major: Army JAG
- University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky - 1973
- Honors: With High Distinction
- Honors: Dean's List
- Honors: Omicron Delta Kappa
- Honors: Beta Gamma Sigma
- Major: Business Administration
- The Basics of Mediation, Fayette County Bar Association, 1996
- Opening Statements, Fayette County Bar Association, 2007
- Adjunct Professor, Litigation Skills, University of Kentucky College of Law, 1980 - Present
- Adjunct Professor, Negotiations, University of Kentucky College of Law, 2008 - Present
Honors and Awards
- AV Preeminent Rated over 20 years
- Kentucky Super Lawyers - Designated as Top 50 Lawyers in Kentucky, 2007 - 2013
- Top Ten Super Lawyers in Kentucky, 2012
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Peer Review Rated
- University of Kentucky College of Law Hall of Fame, 2006 - Present
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America, The Trial Lawyer Honorary Society, 2007 - Present
- Kentucky Super Lawyers , 2007 - 2014
- Fellow, American Academy of Trial Counsel, 2006 - Present
- Fellow, American College of Civil Trial Mediators (Charter Member from Kentucky), 2007 - Present
- National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (Charter Member from Kentucky), Inducted 2010
- Best Lawyers in America
- Recipient, 2013 KBA Kentucky Service to Young Lawyers Award
- Best Lawyers of America, Lexington Lawyer of the Year for Mediation 2014
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Fayette County Bar Association, Chairman, Civil Litigation Section, 2010 - Present, 1977 - Present
- Kentucky Bar Association, Member, 1977 - Present
- Kentucky Defense Attorneys Association, Member
- Kentucky Academy of Trial Attorneys, Member
- Fayette County Bar Association, President-Elect, 2013-2014
Past Employment Positions
- U.S. Army, Military Intelligence, Captain, 1973 - 1978
- Phi Delta Phi
- Omicron Delta Kappa