Providing legal excellence for over 65 years in Kentucky

Is my injury covered by workers’ compensation?

On Behalf of | Apr 1, 2021 | Workers’ Compensation

When an employee is injured on the job, he or she may be entitled to receive workers’ compensation. Workers’ comp covers medical expenses, lost wages and other accommodations an injured worker may have a work accident. However, to receive workers’ compensation, the injury must be connected to the injured worker’s employment.

What does work-related mean?

A work-related injury is one that is sustained during the scope of one’s employment or while doing something their employer requested. While this usually covers injuries that are sustained in the actual workplace, they can also be in other locations that an employee was at in furtherance of their employment.

What if my injury didn’t occur on company property?

If the employee is a truck driver, then the injury could be sustained on a truck. If an employee is at a work sponsored event but not on company premises, his or her injury could still be covered by workers’ compensation. An injury sustained at a work sponsored party at a bar may be covered, but an injury sustained while out for drinks with the manager would not be covered. Injuries in the cafeteria can be considered work-related and even those suffered during lunch with a client in a restaurant can be covered by workers’ compensation.

Even though workers’ compensation exists to protect injured workers, the reality is that employers and insurance companies often try to pass the buck to one another and the injured worker suffers in the process. In order to ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible, it might be beneficial to consult an experienced attorney for guidance.